Thursday, October 30, 2014

On Bugs and Blogging


We are back in Niger, which means I have every intention of getting back to writing!  So many of you encouraged me while we were in the States this summer, and you are the reason I’m getting my act together, getting out my laptop, and starting to write again.  Thank you for encouraging me! 

I'm back at my desk and ready to get back to writing.  I'm also wearing my Africa necklace (a gift from Jonathan) to commemorate our first day back in Niger. 


It’s been over 15 months since I wrote last.  This is one of the sweet, adorable reasons why it's been so long…  

We now have four!  Welcome, Micaela Joy, born June 8th, 2014.

Coming home after being gone for 6 months felt wonderful.  We reveled in the fact that we could get back into a good routine, the children could play safely within the confines of our compound  wall, we could get Micaela settled into life in Niger, and that we could see our Nigerien friends whom we have been missing during our time away.  The children were so excited to have their bedrooms and toys back and I was happy to have my kitchen back.  

But, wait…  It seems that while we were gone, someone ELSE had decided to try to take over MY kitchen.  Roaches.  I shudder to even type the word.  It is in moments such as those, that moment when I realized I would have to wage war to take my kitchen back, that we say 'one must either laugh or cry', and since crying really does no good in such situations, and laughing seemed utterly impossible, I just decided not to think about it at all.  Well, that lasted for one day.  Then I couldn’t think about anything BUT reclaiming MY kitchen from MY new rival.  Or shall I say rivals.  Because, you see, there were hundreds of them. 

I know that roaches come with the territory when one lives in Niger, or in any warm climate, for that matter.  I also know I am not alone in my battle, no matter where I live in the world, because when I google, “How to get rid of roaches”, thousands of articles come up giving “expert” advice on getting rid of the little pests.  Not only do the many articles come up, but thousands of comments and forums with distraught homeowners lamenting their "little" problem.  Ahhh... sweet comfort.  Misery loves company.

I have lived in Niger long enough to learn a thing or two about roaches and how to eradicate them.  So I armed myself with boiling water, cleaning supplies, my shop-vac (Thank you, Dad!), boric-acid-roach-zapping-concoctions, and a strong sense of resolve that I would KILL THEM ALL!  Well, I’m not too sure how well I’m doing at killing them ALL, but I will proudly admit that I believe I AM winning!  And if I’m not, well, I refuse to even consider that as a possibility.  Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss.   

But really, I’M WINNING!

For those of you who have told me you so enjoy living vicariously in Africa through my writing, well, there you have it!  This is one of the aspects of life in Niger that is probably best lived vicariously and not in actuality.  (Grin)

More blogging on a regular basis to come.  I promise!


2 comments:

  1. Ugh! I do not want to share that experience, vicariously or otherwise! Keep winning!

    ReplyDelete