.
It is the death of children.
.
.
Little Rebecca, a few months before her death, with her mommy.
Jonathan has personally helped bury 3 out of the 5 children that have died this year. Their little bodies are washed by hand, dressed in their very best outfit, lovingly wrapped in a sheet, then placed in a grave in the Christian cemetery. The cemetery is a beautiful place - so quiet and peaceful. Whenever I stand there, I am overwhelmed by how many little mounds there are - so many children.
Two little mounds, about 3 feet long, both marked with a small pile of leaves. Most families cannot afford to have a head marker placed over the grave of their loved one.
The strength with which the Nigerien believers carry on after the loss of a little one astounds me. They are broken, yes. But they choose to look to Jesus, received strength from Him, and carry on. I have been humbled and amazed as I watch Little Rebecca's mommy choose to return and finish Bible School. She is learning to read, and is now reading portions of the Bible aloud in class. Please pray for her and her husband as they continue to deal with the death of their daughter on a daily basis. We know Little Rebecca is with Jesus. We will see her again. That gives us hope and comfort. .But still we grieve.
I will never get used to the frequent death of children in Niger. I refuse to accept it as normal. I believe, by God's grace, we will see that "1 out of 5 die before the age of 5" .ratio change in Niger! This was not God's plan! It's not the way it was meant to be. Jesus said, "The thief comes to steal, to kill, and to destroy. But I .have come that they might have life, and have it to the full." - John 10:10
Please pray with me that the Lord would break this cycle of childhood death in the nation of Niger.
God's desire for the children of Niger is that they would have life, and have it to the FULL!!!
.
Very powerful post. Something to think about and pray about!
ReplyDeleteI thought your post was very well written, for such a difficult topic. I can't imagine that kind of loss. I will definatly be praying for Rebecca's family!
ReplyDelete