I haven't written in weeks! There is so much going on right now that I feel overwhelmed at even the thought of trying to grasp it all! Today I'm attempting to rise above the feelings that descend upon me as I try to sort out my thoughts so I can give you a glimpse into my life. Wow... Where to start?!!
.
God is so good... That's always a good place to start. God is always faithful... An even better place to start!
.
.
I just unpacked my bags that I originally packed several weeks ago. I faithfully unpacked them after each trip for several weeks, then decided it would be better to just leave them packed until I knew I'd be home for more than 3 days in a row! It worked out great!
.
I considered naming my blog (not just this entry), Confessions of an Itinerating Missionary. Now that sounds intriguing, doesn't it?!! Even I would be tempted to stop and read that!
.
Here are my first two confessions:
.
Confession #1: I thought I would hate itinerating.
.
I thought that itinerating was the long, laborious process you had to endure before you could go on the mission field.
.
The truth? I love itinerating! Sure, I wouldn't want to do it forever, but through this whole process, I have had grace - not just to endure, but to thrive! I love meeting new people, worshipping in new churches, and hearing the amazing things that God is doing in other peoples' lives! It is incredible!!! I love being taken out of my small world, my comfort zone, and being thrust into places that force me to grow and change. That leads me to Confession #2.
.
Confession #2. I don't like change.
.
And yet I do... I know, I know - I'm being inconsistent, but I think you know what I'm trying to say. I said I love it, but I hate it, but I love it - well, I love looking back and seeing how far I've come. Sometimes the coming is hard because I can't see completely where I'm going.
.
I want to share one of our really special experiences with you. When Jonathan and I walked into Lighthouse Community Fellowship Church two weeks ago, we had no idea that they were planning on introducing us to their congregation as their newest missionaries! Wow! I'm going to give you a sneak-peek at some of the pictures that may be in our next newsletter. LCFC had already purchased Niger's flag and had it hanging in their lobby to welcome us. How incredible is that!?!
Niger's Flag / With Pastors Chris and Carol Ball at LCFC
.
If Jonathan and I had never had this season of itineration, we would not be prepared for what God is calling us to in Niger. We need people behind us, praying for us, writing to us, keeping in touch with us, and supporting us! Niger cannot be reached simply because the Bowdens are heading over there! Niger needs the power of Jesus Christ, the Bowdens need the power of Jesus Christ, and that only comes when the Body of Christ joins together in what God is calling us to do. Jonathan and I are humbled and excited to have churches and individuals partnering with us to reach the unreached in Niger!
.
I loved seeing Niger's flag hanging in LCFC's lobby. It stirred in me the realization that there are millions of people that need to be reached - they have no hope until they hear the truth about Jesus. What an incredible privilege the Lord is giving us - the opportunity to bring that truth to them!
.
I must admit - yet one more confession from this itinerating missionary...
.
There is a part of me is very sad to leave my family and loved ones. I'm sad to take Isaiah and Anna away from their grandparents and aunts and uncles. I'm sad to sell my possessions, and live out this season of leaving. That's the part of me that doesn't like change.
.
I am so thankful that God's ways always higher than our ways! I find it amazing that He will use our brokenness (the sadness that we feel in leaving) to bring life in desert places of Niger. That's the second part of me speaking - the part that embraces change - knowing that it is for my good.
.
Please rejoice with us in God's goodness! We are 7 weeks away from our departure date, June 26, 2010. We have 75% of our monthly goal met, and 71% of our one-time expense goal met. Wow! It is incredible.
.
Please pray for us as we face transition after transition - large and small. We love the change, yet we hate it, yet we love it, yet... God is faithful and God is good, and that is all that matters! We'll have that 20/20 hindsight vision soon! And so will you! Whatever it is that you're facing, I pray that you too will have the calming reassurance that God is in control! He will use the brokenness you feel now (or have felt in the past) to bring springs of life to you and those around you - both now and in the days to come!
.
.
.
Thank you for the update! Wow - what a whirlwind you have been flying through. I must say that I am very impressed with how you've handled it all: You have struggled... then risen up; you have been overwhelmed... but have fallen back into the arms of Jesus; you have seen the mountains before you... then tightened your laces and climbed up, smiling and praising the Lord as you went; you have faced challenges... and overcome them with wisdom, faith and prayer; you have run into the unknown... and have let it mold and shape you as you place your trust in the One who led you there; you have been stretched thin... and have allowed yourself to be broken, poured out for your husband, your children, others you've met - all unto the Lord. It has been a pleasure watching your unfold and blossom... like a flower in the desert. You will be a lovely fragrance in the deserts of Niger!
ReplyDeleteI love you, my friend!
I found your blog via a google search for missionaries in West Africa. My husband and I are just starting out in the process of itinerating. We are missionaries to Ghana. This post was very encouraging! I will be praying for you and your family.
ReplyDelete