This weekend we accomplished a mission of great proportion: family photos!
With two children under the age of two, this is no small task. I admit (now) that Jonathan and I overestimated our abilities to (in two hours) coordinate breakfast, baths for two little ones, three outfits for each family member (3x4=12), acessories for 12 outfits, a full bag of M&Ms all over the kitchen floor (What?! I forgot to put those away? I can't even remember taking them out! Isaiah's candy radar is absolutely incredible!), little fistfuls of dirt (What?! You just had a bath, Isaiah! How did you get into that dirt?! Noooo! Take it out of your mouth!), Baby Anna's hunger level (only Mommy can satisfy this and it is *not* an on-the-go activity!), unexpected boo-boos, and the list goes on! All chaos seemed to break loose and we had not even loaded up our van.
But we made it!
Thank you Andrew and Licia for all of your wonderful help taking our family photos - complete with props, bribes, and animation that deserves an academy award.
What did Jonathan and I take away from this day? That no matter how crazy things get, we need to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus. He enables us to see things in proper perspective. Instead of giving into frustration, I wish I just had sat down on the kitchen floor for a few minutes and enjoyed some M&Ms with my little Isaiah. Instead of wishing Anna would eat faster so I could finish getting ready, I wish I had cuddled her closer and savored the moment. These are the things that matter - not being on time or having all my ducks in a row.
Jonathan and I also came away having learned that laughter *is* the best medicine, and a sense of humor can save the day. I credit this lesson to my wonderful husband. If not for him, I may never have stopped, remembered what really matters, and made a choice to enjoy our day as a family.
As we prepare to transition to Niger next spring, I realize that we will have many crazy days. I'm asking the Lord to make this lesson stick!
Right on, Dani, how well I remember those "I should've" days. And because of recognizing that early on, like you, I was able to put that into practice and share amazing times because of just putting everything aside and living for the second. Enjoy those incredible moments. Also, humor is the key - I was interviewed by a student nurse in the hospital after having baby #3 and she wanted to know how, we as a family, coped. I started laughing and said 'humor.' She looked at me funny and wrote it down, but how true it was and is - and then we proceeded to have #4 and #5 which at that point led to 'hilarity!!!' Enjoy your gifts! children and husband!!! love, mom bowden
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mom!
ReplyDelete